Friday, May 21, 2010

Broken.

What follows here is the first draft of the introduction to my book. I would love your feedback on this, as it shares the general tone and direction of the book. Thank you in advance.

-------------


I am broken.


Actually, I think we all are - in one way or another. Each and every day, human beings interact with each other in ways that arise out of our own brokenness, and often contribute to the brokenness of others.


What do I mean by "broken"? I realize some may take offense to this word. Saying someone is broken is indicating that there's something wrong with them that needs to be fixed - that they are less than whole. And yes, that is what I mean. However, given the pervasiveness of brokenness in our society, my use of this word is far from judgmental. I am merely acknowledging the shattered state of our world.


When we are mistreated, a fracture is created. My therapist calls them "disturbances." The voices of our past whisper in our ear during the present, coloring our view of our current experiences. We then act out of that unhealthy place, creating new disturbances for the people we interact with.


The good news is, there is hope. There is healing. It is possible to heal these disturbances so they no longer act as triggers in your daily life. Not only possible - but necessary. If our brokenness goes unhealed, then we run the danger of creating disturbances in our children, resulting in new brokenness that then affects others. And so the cycle continues.


Perhaps you don't agree that brokenness affects us all in some way, that you are perfectly healthy and fine. I would challenge you - do you have anger issues? Are you a perfectionist? Do your neatness requirements at home rival Mommy Dearest?


In this book, I will be sharing my own journey through healing. Am I fully healed? No. But I am on the journey, and I feel more whole than ever in my life. And I largely have my son to thank for that. It is the act of becoming a mother that created a critical point of change for me. As they say, children are like mirrors, reflecting the very best - and worst - of their parents. What I saw reflected in my child's eyes was disturbing, and created in me an urgency to move on a path of healing - not just for my own sake, but for the health and happiness of my family.


I share this journey because I feel that there is freedom in being able to admit imperfection, seek help, and strive to be a healthier person. My hope is that by sharing my experiences with this type of healing, and how this affected my role as a mother, others can find hope and healing of their own.

4 comments:

  1. Good! Especially like the second-to-last paragraph. I can definitely see where you are going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malcolm is a lucky dude.

    I like the setup here. When you making more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh - thanks!
    Mike - kids, or book?
    Bre - thank you!

    ReplyDelete